8.3.10

Environmental dilemmas with broader sensibility in mind


I plunge from a Sun Salutation into my first Downward Facing Dog of the day. I am in my living room practicing yoga, taking a break from emailing, hoping to quiet my mind and find some inner sanctum.


Research shows that mindfulness practice enhances concentration, attention, emotional balance, physical well-being, and openness to learning. Institutions including schools, universities and corporations have embraced mindfulness as a valuable practice. Kids in elementary schools across the country practice mindful meditation- they close their eyes and focus on their breathing for five minutes per day. Work places offer relaxation classes during lunch and wellness programs for employees. Universities, like Lesley, are opening yoga studios for their students.


Environmental challenges call into question not simply our technological, economic, and political capabilities, but also our fundamental understandings of who we are as a species and how we fit into the world. In terms of environmental leadership, I believe that the health of our planet and our personal health should not be segregated. Being an environmental leader is greater than simply possessing knowledge in ecology, biology and sustainability. A successful environmental leader is equally about taking care of your body in a holistic and mindful way. Conversations about artistic exercises and contemplative practice are as important as addressing environmental dilemmas.


My yoga practice brings peace, harmony and stability to myself. My yoga practice brings peace, harmony and stability to the earth. My yoga practice makes me a better urban/environmental/leader. Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had the self-motivation to do yoga at home. Now that I have the technical stuff understood (at least partly), I am off to find my central self ... and Myriah, you are definitely on my list of leaders to admire on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dom, thanks for the comment. I appreciate the admiration, but remember, I don't have a husband, two kids or a house to run! Kids love yoga. I have been doing yoga since I was a baby and it is always something I have come back to-- introduce your kids to it and make it a family practice! Put mats on the floor and a yoga video tape in and just roll around, stretch and practice fun poses like tree pose, crow pose....and remember...let go and laugh!!

    ReplyDelete